There are numerous considerations when purchasing a tent. We must weigh all the factors before reaching a decision, from the cost to the number of participants on your trip. However, now is the time to stop worrying since here is the latest REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent, which was specifically created with your needs in mind. Therefore, without further ado, let’s see!
Specifications at a Glance!
- Capacity: 2 people
- Season: 3-season (spring, summer, fall)
- Freestanding: Yes
- Packed weight: 5 lbs. 2 oz.
- Minimum trail weight: 4 lbs. 4 oz.
- Floor dimensions: 88 x 52 inches
- Floor area: 31.8 square feet
- Peak height: 40 inches
- Number of doors: 2
- Number of vestibules: 2
- Vestibule area: 9.8 square feet each
- Canopy material: 68-denier breathable polyester taffeta
- Floor material: 70-denier coated nylon taffeta
- Rainfly material: 68-denier polyester taffeta with 1,500mm polyurethane coating
- Pole material: Aluminum
- Pole diameter: 8.5 millimeters
- Stuff sack size: 6 x 18 inches
Why Choose the REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent?
The REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent is ideal for you if you and your partner enjoy going on hikes while you’re on vacation. It can comfortably fit you thanks to its incredible 31 square feet of floor space and 40-inch peak height. Its floor is large enough to lie down comfortably and readily, despite the possibility that you would be concerned about its sloped walls.
Its vestibules make sure that staking your goods won’t cause any problems even if you want to safeguard them while you’re sleeping. The REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent’s interior space was designed with all of these factors in mind to provide you with luxury after a day of exciting activities.
It weighs about 5 pounds, which is respectable compared to its rivals given its size. Lightweight tents of the same category are either too pricey or too frail, depending on your perspective. You must keep in mind, though, that this REI product can be a terrific option if you’re willing to carry a few additional pounds.
The REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent takes up far more room than its competitors, although it does provide some extra room to accommodate haphazard packing. As a result, you’ll never have to stress about arranging them neatly in a hurry. In addition, if you run out of room, you may always divide the tent body and rainfly between you and a companion.
In terms of value, REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent offers exceptional value given the price it comes with. It’s just an average-price tent that offers outstanding performance. Besides, its high-quality material ensures that the tent can suffice for long-term usage, so you can use it for your uncountable hiking trips without breaking a sweat.
However, although you might not agree with its weight, it’s safe to assume that it’s worth the money. Moreover, its integrated footprint acts as a bonus which makes this product a very good deal.
If we look at the majority of tents in this price range, we can see that they frequently fall short of our expectations in the majority of weather scenarios. The REI Passage 2 tent, which is a 3-season backpacking tent, guarantees the exact opposite. Along with the bathtub floor, it can easily modify and get around rainfly problems to seal water at the ground level. Also read: What does a 3-seaosn tent mean?
It’s also safe to expect that the REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent can stand tall on the ground even when the wind speed tends to sweep up a little bit above average given its sturdy aluminum poles. Additionally, it’s fantastic to see the six metal stakes included in the packaging.
But I’d suggest carrying a few extras to increase safety and ensure that the product is flown correctly even in unfavorable weather.
Of course, breathability is a component to consider when determining how livable a tent is. The Passage 2 tent is renowned for being breathable in all weather conditions. The best thing is that thanks to its mesh-heavy construction, you can still breathe easily even when you don’t wear the fly.
Additionally, the roof vents on either side offer maximum airflow channeling to keep you comfortable within the tent. Last but not least, you can let the fly curtain open so that you can take in the night sky from the comfort of your home. Given that it can also aid in decreasing condensation, this function is amazing.
You can choose storage with an ergonomic design that makes it simple for you to keep your items outside the tent. Each of the storage vestibules has a diameter of around 10 feet, so you can easily store your gear without hindering access to and from the tent.
You can also be given someplace to store your stuff if you roll out the rainfly, which is wonderful. Naturally, this results in simple entry and exit from the other end.
The tent’s unfortunate lack of internal storage for your belongings can be a drawback. However, the disadvantage can readily be made up for because it provides lots of room for your possessions.
Setup of REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent with Footprint
It can occasionally become rather challenging for one person to erect or take down the tent. Despite this, it is fairly comfortable compared to other inexpensive tents because it has a superb pre-installed footprint. An added benefit is that the rain fly’s pre-attached guylines make it simple to stack.
Setting up the REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent is a straightforward process that can be done in a few easy steps:
- Choose a level and clear area to pitch the tent. Remove the tent, rainfly, and poles from their stuff sacks.
- Lay the tent body on the ground and stake out the corners to secure it in place.
- Assemble the tent poles and insert them into the corresponding grommets on the tent body.
- Connect the pole ends to the tent corners using the plastic clips provided.
- Drape the rainfly over the tent body and attach it to the tent corners and poles using the buckles and Velcro tabs.
- Stake out the rainfly to secure it in place and create two vestibules.
- Adjust the guy lines and tension as needed to ensure a taut and stable pitch.
Pros of REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent
- At a great price point of $159, this tent is unquestionably the best the market has to offer right now.
- It can easily withstand all the unpredictable seasons because of its sturdy construction.
- In addition to being freestanding, it has a symmetrical design that makes installation simple.
- Additionally, the body tent has a lot of mesh on the top which plenty of space so you may enjoy stargazing at night. Besides, it also allows for enough airflow within the tent.
Cons of REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent
- Unfortunately, there isn’t a center ridge pole included with the tent, which would be useful for stretching the sidewalls. As a result, it compromises the area’s general livability.
- The tent itself is quite large and weighty. As a result, carrying the backpack could be challenging.
- Internal storage is insufficient for two persons.
- Because there are only six stakes, it might be unexpected when it’s windy. Read more about How to use Tent Stakes
Comparison of similar tents to the REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent
|REI Co-op Passage 2||88 x 52 inches, 40 inches peak height, 5 lbs. 2 oz. packed weight||$159||Canopy: 68-denier breathable polyester taffeta, Floor: 70-denier coated nylon taffeta, Rainfly: 68-denier polyester taffeta with 1,500mm polyurethane coating, Poles: Aluminum||31.8 sq ft, 88 x 52 inches|
|Kelty Salida 2||88 x 55 inches, 43 inches peak height, 4 lbs. 9 oz. packed weight||$159.95||Canopy: 68-denier polyester, Floor: 68-denier nylon, Rainfly: 68-denier polyester, Poles: DAC Pressfit||30.5 sq ft, 90 x 55 inches|
|Coleman Sundome 2||84 x 60 inches, 48 inches peak height, 7 lbs. packed weight||$69.99||Canopy: Polyester, Floor: Polyethylene, Rainfly: Polyester, Poles: Fiberglass||33.3 sq ft, 84 x 60 inches|
|Eureka! Copper Canyon 2||7 x 5 feet, 4 feet 4 inches peak height, 13 lbs. 4 oz. packed weight||$159.95||Canopy: Polyester, Floor: Polyester, Rainfly: N/A, Poles: Steel||35 sq ft, 7 x 5 feet|
|NEMO Galaxi 2||84 x 50/45 inches, 40 inches peak height, 5 lbs. 6 oz. packed weight||$299.95||Canopy: No-see-um mesh and 68-denier ripstop polyester, Floor: 70-denier PU-coated nylon, Rainfly: 75-denier polyester, Poles: Aluminum||32 sq ft, 84 x 50/45 inches|
|Teton Sports Tracker Ultralight||82 x 59 inches, 43 inches peak height, 4 lbs. 4 oz. packed weight||$129.99||Canopy: Micro mesh and 190T polyester, Floor: 150D Oxford footprint, Rainfly: 66D 3mm ripstop polyester, Poles: Aluminum||29.3 sq ft, 82 x 59 inches|
Compared to the REI Co-op Passage 2, the Kelty Salida 2 offers a similar balance of price, weight, and features. It has slightly more floor space and a different pole design, which may be a factor for some users. The materials are also similar, with a 68-denier polyester canopy and rainfly, and a 68-denier nylon floor. Overall, the Kelty Salida 2 is a good alternative to the REI Co-op Passage 2 for those looking for a similar tent with slightly different features.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does the tent weigh?
What is the tent made of?
How many people does the tent sleep?
Is the tent easy to set up?
Is the tent suitable for backpacking?
The REI Co-op Passage 2 Tent is a strong contender for your next buy because it has so many benefits overall. In addition, even with all the capabilities it has, it is relatively affordable. Having stated that, you can experience the height of luxury in terms of comfort and quality for your upcoming hiking expedition with just one purchase. Cheers!